Monday 17 January 2011

So my blog now has a name

I love Geek Mom. It's a site made by geek mums for geek mums, full of interesting articles, great craft ideas and so much more.

There's just one huge problem with it - it's American. I'm not anti-America in any way, but obviously the site is geared towards residents of the US not of Britain. That's not going to stop me from devouring each post that is published on there either. I've become used to seeing cool things on there and checking how much postage would be to the UK or if it's available over here. I can work in metric or imperial, so it's not that either.

Why can't I find a UK version?

That's my problem. Maybe there is one out there that just isn't showing up on my searches. Where are my fellow Brit geek mums?

Forums? That could be where they're all hanging out. I can't say I'm a fan of them generally. There have been more than a few occasions where I've found an interesting thread and then noticed it's from a couple of years ago. Then there's the obvious problem of, how can I put it nicely... people who can't see past the end of their own noses, trolls and that kind of thing. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good online debate. I had a huge ongoing one on a forum a few years ago about smacking (I'm anti, she was pro) which got very heated. Now, myself and this other woman, we argued and argued, then another debate was started. One which I happened to agree with her over, and we'd discussed other things during the smacking debate we'd both agreed on. To me, that shows we have some things in common, everyone is different and we can all have a good debate without resorting to name calling or hissing at each other. She was the same, we got on brilliantly as long as neither of us mentioned the s word.

*sigh* There aren't that many on these things like that though. They just decide you're an idiot for not agreeing with you over x and bring it up at every opportunity they can. The other main anti-smacking mum on the board seemed aghast (as far as I could tell this side of the computer screen) that I would exchange pleasantries with the pro-smacker. There was much *headdesk*ing.

Though there is a curious little part of me that wonders what my reason for being wrong about stuff would be if I went back on those ones. At the time, it was because I was too young to understand. Yet my opinions have changed very little over the past ten years.

No comments: