Monday 17 January 2011

Kitchen failure AKA Lego brick or underside of a female pig?

Complete kitchen fail! I've been looking for geek food to serve at our party on Saturday. So far we have on the menu a Starship Meaterprise (which may turn out to be veggie), burnt Lemmings and some rice characters, as well as the obligatory Mr Potato Head.

But I saw this and wanted to make it:

How cool is that?

My practice effort... well, I decided to not go for dyed icing for the practice run which probably didn't help matters. The pink marshmallows I used weren't fully covered by the icing either. So when my eighter was complete it looked like it should have little baby pig cakes alongside it happily suckling from their mother's teats. 

I think I'm going to have to go with marzipan and ready to roll icing instead.

3 comments:

stephencoley said...

Surely you can cobble a Rubic Cube out of a few chunks of Battenburg & some food colouring???

I once played chess on a Battenburg :-)

Unknown said...

There are lots of geeky things to do with cakes. Would be very tempted to do a borg cube (Borg being my partner and baby's last name)

Alas, I was fooled into thinking Lego cake looked really easy but I am apparently rubbish at icing.

How did you manage to play chess on Battenburg? What did you use as the pieces? :/

stephencoley said...

Battenburg chess involved rather a lot of marzipan & a few maltesers and if I'm entirely honest... It wasn't the easiest game I've ever had!!!